[VHFcontesting] Did anyone else have fun in the January VHF/UHF contest?

Paul Rollinson Paulrollinson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 23 09:44:20 EST 2020

LOL.... Punishing the body and   and 15MPH wind. Again on Saturday morning
when I forget to seal up a connection.

Overall, had a blast. Best score ever for us (multi unlimited). 27hrs in the
shack.

I've seen comments about cw/ssb/DIG, operating times etc. The bottom line is
you prep the best you can, keep your butt in the chair and have fun.

I like Multi op because of the banter in the shack and introducing new hams
to this portion of the spectrum. Found a newbie that loves digital. Awesome!
His girlfriend is also getting her license and wants to use her call
sign....Even better. Better start building a station...lol

Did anyone have any luck moving stations to upper bands using digital? I
tried but unsuccessfully.

I'm thinking of splitting out 222 and setting it up for all mode so we can
monitor/CQ at 222.080.

How many run digital on 222?

After every contest we see the deficiencies and plan for the next one. I'm
in that mode now.

New mast mount PA for 6M, get 903 actually running vs paperweight, update
coax on 432 for lower loss and others. All balanced by budgets.

It's a hobby; food comes first. But swap and sell and plumbing some things
in the shack will get us on.

Fyi..... for full disclosure for the stations that worked me: ASL 345
surrounded by hills. My best takeoff is in the middle of the Atlantic. Still
looking for ships at sea.

I make the best lemonade I can with the lemons I got; then add vodka.

Thanks all that found us. Testing on the upper bands is always welcomed.

Until the sprints....73

6M 2X7el 1KW
2m 1200w 2x 18xxx mast mount pa
222 100w 15 el
432 30el 550w
903 (maybe 10ws????) 33 el
1296 50w pa in shack, 55el
In storage: 2.3g 3.5g, 5g & 10 g. Useless without a hill.

Paul Rollinson, KE1LI
FN41AU
860-928-5147
860-208-8814 Cell/Text