[VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal

Pete K0BAK rxr978-vhf at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 20:15:55 EDT 2020

 I guess this will generate *some* discussion. :-)
I think allowing 3 modes of contacts on each band should help increase activity, the number of contacts, and overall fun. Let's go for it!
Different point values do make some sense, but I'm not sure there can ever be a solid consensus as to the mode point values. For instance, your analysis emphasizes the speed of each contact ... which makes sense for a major multiop where contact rate is very important. I would argue, for instance, that CW should count for *less* than voice because it gives a 3-6db or so advantage over SSB ... which is much more important for typical VHF contest stations. The same thing applies to fast digital ... even more of an effective power advantage over CW so it should count for less.
Since it will be hard to get a consensus in the VHF community on different point values for different modes, I *strongly* believe having different point values should be deferred. Instead first simply allow 3 mode contacts worth one point each and see how it works out in practice.
As to "manufactured contacts": that's a problem I hadn't considered before. However, I think it would be simpler to require a minimum time between contacts on the same band rather than spread out the activity for conventional modes. It would be easy enough to move from a solid voice contact to meeting up at an agreed frequency in the CW portion of the band.
In summary:1) A big enthusiastic thumbs-up to 3 modes per band.2) Keep it simple and defer consideration of different mode point values.3) Don't change the traditional mix of terrestrial CW and voice in the same band portion. If necessary, require a minimum time between contacts in a band.
Thanks for taking the considerable to write this up and submit it formally.
[This is my personal opinion only. I have no idea how my fellow club members feel in the aggregate, but I hope we (PackRats) respond as a club after "some" debate.]
-- Pete K0BAK (/R)