[VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal

Bob K0NR - email list list at k0nr.com
Wed Mar 18 20:01:45 EDT 2020

Hi all,
I was going to sit this one out but debating VHF contest rules is way
too much fun. :-(

There are always multiple things to "fix" in the VHF contest rules but I
think the big issue on the table with FT4/8 is the reduction of 6m
ssb/cw contacts and the impact on run rates.
That's what I hear people complaining about...as Jay/W9RM
writes...serious contesters are looking for decent run rates on 6m to
drive their score.
That's what I want, too....running on 6m ssb is way more fun than the
best day on FT8.

If 6m is really the issue, it may point to being a June VHF contest
issue (only). We don't get anywhere near the sporadic-e except in the
June (and July CQ VHF) contests.

I claim that a serious contester (focused on competing with the best
score possible) would choose cw or ssb 6m contacts when the band is open
with decent signal levels. Again, it provides the best run rate and best
score...if there is someone to work. So the fact that many/most/all 6m
operators are choosing FT4/8 even when signals are strong implies they
are not optimizing their score. They are optimizing something
else...probably just enjoying making contacts during the contest and not
so focused on the score. This is a key point because any effort to fix
this problem (as I've defined it) has to result in these casual
contesters changing their operating behavior. Unfortunately, I don't see
fiddling with the points awarded or operating categories changing their
FT4/8 preference. For example, if the rules award points for both
digital QSOs and ssb/cw QSOs, these casual folks will probably just keep
on making FT4/8 contacts and ignoring ssb/cw.

The one thing that might change their behavior is to restrict the
allowable modes to not include FT4/8. This would be a drastic change,
not one I would recommend at this time.
(Even then, it might not work...the contest might happen on cw/ssb while
the casual operators still have fun on FT4/8.)

I think Marshall/K5QE has the right idea:

    Let's leave everything alone for the time being.  All of us can
    consider the situation and maybe some new and better rules may come
    forward in the future.  Arliss and Jay are two of the top VHFers
    running around.  We need to pay careful attention to their cautious
    views.

Note: I am located in Colorado, so the VHF activity is on the sparse
side. Most of the contests end up being focused on 6m & 2m, with a small
sprinkle from the other bands.

73 Bob K0NR
bob at k0nr.com