[VHFcontesting] WSJT-X 2.2.2 workaround for MSK-144 "split" mode while in contest mode

John Golomb john.golomb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:46:36 EDT 2020

Unless I am doing something wrong, while in contest mode and MSK144, recent
WSJT-X versions do not let you setup CQ messages that announce a listening
frequency like:

CQ 265 K1ABC FN32

This is probably because the protocol does not allow a proper/longer
contest mode/split CQ like:

CQ TEST 265 K1ABC

I have tested a manual workaround that seems to work (6 meter example).

Check the box next to the "Tx CQ 260" spinner, set your VFO to desired
listening frequency (like 50.265) and* manually* change the TX6 message by
replacing "TEST" with the listening frequency:

CQ TEST K1ABC FN32 --> CQ 265 K1ABC FN32

With this workaround, auto sequence seems to properly handle radio
frequency and the contest mode exchange.

MSK can get crowded during contests.  I encourage others to try working
split on 6 and 2 meters this weekend.

Hope to see some of you from N2NT.

- John N2NC