[VHFcontesting] Working K5QE in the Sept ARRL VHF contest....

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Fri Sep 11 16:52:51 EDT 2020

Hello to all our friends in the VHF / WSJT world from the K5QE contest
team....K5QE will be operating in the ARRL September VHF Contest and
would really appreciate any contacts that we can make via MSK144, FT8,
or EME for that "rare" grid.

The contest begins 1800 UTC Saturday and ends 0300 UTC Monday (Sept 12th
- 14th, 2019).  For those of us still on local time, that is 1PM CDST on
Saturday to 10PM CDST Sunday night.  For those stations that are outside
our normal range, I invite you to try to work us on 6M, 2M, and/or 222
using digital meteor scatter(MSK144), FT8, or EME.  If you are EME
capable, we will be operating EME on 2M, 222, and 432.

The ARRL rules allow Assistance to all stations.  We will be on
PingJockey whenever we are running meteor scatter or FT8 and will be on
the HB9Q reflector OR the N0UK EME-1 page whenever we are running EME.
Please look for us there and coordinate with us.  Please note that NO
CONTACT INFORMATION can be posted.

NOTE:  The new FT8 mode has taken off like wildfire, especially on 6M.
We can switch between FT8 and MSK easily, but we have to know which mode
and frequency you want to use.  SO, use PingJockey to coordinate.

If there is Es on 6M, you can easily work a new station on SSB in 10sec,
so clearly that is where everyone should be.  However, IF 6M is NOT OPEN
to Es, we will try FT8 first and then MSK144 meteor scatter.  I tend to
think that FT8 will be best in the late afternoon and early evening.
Then later, MSK144 meteor scatter will prevail.  This may be all wrong,
however.  Everyone is going to have to pay attention to the propagation
and coordinate on the PingJockey reflector page.

When we are on FT8 on 6M, we will be using 50.313MHz with everyone
else.  Please remember that the contest requires the exchange of GRIDS
not a number.  You should be using WSJT-X v2.2.2 by now.  Be sure that
you have the NA Contest Mode box checked.

When we are operating MSK144 meteor scatter, we will be operating on
50.260Mhz using normal sequencing...i.e. when we are westernmost, we we
will take First Sequence and when we are easternmost, we will take
Second Sequence.  We run 1KW output on 6M meteor scatter with fairly
large antennas. We plan to go to digital operations beginning at 0000Z
Sunday morning(=7:00PM CDST Saturday night), but we may get there sooner
or later depending on the propagation.

On 2M, we will begin MSK144 or FT8 at 0000Z Sunday(=7PM CDST Saturday
night).  We will run MSK144 meteor scatter on a frequency of 144.150MHz
and we will follow normal sequencing. If we are running FT8, we will use
144.174MHz, which has been accepted by lots of stations as the "FT8
national calling frequency".  This is a good chance for smaller stations
to get some good 2M DX and a "rare" grid during the contest.  We get one
too...a WIN-WIN situation!!  We run a stacked pair of 17el M2's at 160ft
and 1KW output on 2M MSK or FT8.  Remember, GRIDS not a number is the
contest exchange. Again, check the NA Contest Mode box.  Look for us on
the PingJockey page to see if we are on MSK144 or FT8.  NOTE:  For this
contest, our moonrise is 0800Z Sunday morning(=3AM CDST).  So, we will
be primarily on EME after that.  IF you want to run with us on MSK144,
check with us on the PingJockey page or just call the station.

On 222, we will run MSK144 or FT8 on 222.085MHz.  Please try us on
meteor scatter on 222 if you have some power and a reasonable horizontal
antenna.  With MSK, it is much easier to make a 222 contact than most
folks believe.  There has been a lot of 222 activity lately.  Now is the
time to show what we can do on 222.  Give us a try!  There is a good
chance that MSK144 or FT8 will yield some long distance 222 contacts.
Check with us on the PingJockey page for MSK or FT8 contacts on 222.

We will have 2M, 222, and 432 EME stations running whenever we have the
moon available.  Check with us on the HB9Q reflector OR the N0UK EME-1
page if you want to work us via EME.  Any station to the west of us can
run with us on your rising moon, even if you don't have elevation.

Please spot us on PingJockey if you see us on MSK144 or FT8. Use the
HB9Q reflector or the EME-1 page if you work us on EME. The ability to
coordinate on the Internet is very valuable.  USE IT!!

Thank you in advance for spending some time to work us in the contest.

73 Marshall K5QE, EM31cj
Contest station phone is 409-787-3831 if you want to call

k5qe at k5qe.com
www.k5qe.com
East Texas
Station phone is 409-787-3831 if you want to ring us up...