[VHFcontesting] W4NF 2 Meter Sprint

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 12:58:48 EDT 2021

John,
Sounds like the north end of Freezeland Road, my back up January site that use way too often.If so the best spot is at the end of the gravel entrance right where it branches off to the right. Back into the stub road the goes to the cell tower gate (tan pebbled stuco building just inside) and then pull forward as far as possible without blocking the turn.  This puts you next to the hills steep slope and minimizes losses due to foliage.   Its tempting to go up the little hill and gain the extra 20 feet but I have found that for my purposes the density of trees and added depth of foliage offsets any advantage plus its hard to find a big enough spot to swing the beams.  I always get a bit of noise from the FM radio station tower at the top of the hill when I point my 6m beam directly at but its not much of an issue since your LOS in that direction is blocked about 3 miles distant so its not used much.
We wont have LOS due to an eastward projecting hill to your south (I am in VA beach) but you never know.  I will be listening for you ON SSB and be happy to try and run the bands.
73JohnKM4KMU