[VHFcontesting] 222 & Up Contest from FN55

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Sun Aug 8 16:26:17 EDT 2021

Hi Paul

Well I think you did a smashing job from FN55.  I have noted the same
situation here as I tune around and hear stations working K1TEO. They
are audible and workable, but they disappear after working Jeff,  and I
never hear them ever call me.  It is exactly the same situation as you
describe. Why that happens is beyond me, but I think it has to do with
how serious some stations are at working new stations. Then there is the
so called "Pack Rat Effect" where those stations can work themselves,
but, due to water ingress and other common failings with antenna
systems, they do not hear the weak ones.  Keeping several bands at 100%
is not easy.  I used to spend the entire Summer tweaking the antenna
farm to be ready for the September Contest. The effort would always
point up all sorts of small problems that tended to affect the receive
side more than the TX end of things.

As for meteors, I listened in on your AA9MY contact. It was interesting
that we heard different meteor bursts from the same station.

My best 222DX included AA9MY at 1567 km, KA9CFD at 1667 km, W2RMA/r at
801 km, KO4YC at 821 km, and VE3ZV at 752 km.  WA1T was at 9 km from the
grid square centers, but is really about 4 or 5 km from me as the crow
flies! He was the closest station!  As you know, I was only on 222.

Lots of people break in on me to nab a new station, when I am working
someone. It happens fairly often. Feel free to yell out and I will let
you try before they get away!  I should hear you off the back of my beam.

One thing that is bugging me now is your comment about how my digital
transmission is sort of short compared to others.  Now I am curious. My
transmissions start a bit late for some unknown reason. I do have a DEMI
sequencer that slows it down some more. I can see that, but the WSJT-x
audio starts late and the exciter gets keyed late by the software. I set
the TX delay in WSJt-x at 0.1 second. I don't know what else to do. The
PC timing is synched to NIST. My clock is accurate. (?) I am obviously
overlooking an important "feature".

73

Dave K1WHS