[VHFcontesting] 222 and up- N8RA

chetsubaccount at snet.net chetsubaccount at snet.net
Mon Aug 9 10:49:51 EDT 2021

My Elecraft K3 is going thru a midlife crisis. It has become unsure about
when or how much power to produce when asked. I spent Saturday afternoon
trying to teach it with limited success.

Noticing that the 222 and up contest was this weekend, I decided to try to
get the K3 and my XV222 transverter (that was also having some problems) to
work together. I eventually  got the two cooperating well enough on Sunday
to get on here and there and made 15 contacts in 12 grids. It was good to
see that the antenna was still OK. All FT8, but I did occasionally tune
below and heard some CW and SSB but mic audio and key were not hooked back
up yet after having had the K3 apart. By the time I did, those sigs were
gone.

With only 2 minutes before the end, I started to shut everything down when I
saw a decoded call from FN03. Quick, turn everything back on and respond. My
73 to him was in the last 15 second FT8 sequence before the clock ran out.
Beautiful! It ain't over 'til its over.

73,
Chet, N8RA, FN31