[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night WZ1V

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Dec 15 21:58:44 EST 2021

I don't know about everyone else, but I just had a super time with the
Tuesday Night Activity period. I had mentioned that it was probably my
last regular one until next Spring. To celebrate the occasion, Al, WA1T
came by and we both spent the evening in the shack just having fun
copying all of the signals available on 222 MHz. In the last week,
between some serious EME activity, and the ARRL 10 Meter Contest, we had
pretty much ruined the woods road that goes up the hill. We had a lot of
rain & wet snow and the temperature warm up created a lot of mud.
Driving through it really tore up the road. On Tuesday night, Al & I
walked up in the dark with flashlights. Al did most of the operating and
we had fun talking and receiving numerous insults from various callers.
It was sure a fun night.  The high point was when WA3EOQ wted to work
us. I told Al to aim the big antenna at 242 degrees for FM09jo, and to
start calling him on CW. No sooner did Al let up on the key, when I
heard WA3EOQ coming right back with a solid 539 or so CW signal. It was
steady and with no QSB at all. We copied every letter that Howard sent.
This was a big night and possibly the best copy on Howard for the entire
season! I know that the week before, I barely eked out a contact,
getting only one or two call sets and one signal report for a total
copying time of about 15 or 20 seconds MAX, where I could tell what he
was sending! So one week later in mid December. we both heard WA3EOQ in
spades with arm chair copy. We had similar luck with W1XR, who always
has a great signal, and of course, KO4YC in FM17gv at an unbelievable
525 miles.

Al and I had a nice chat with K1OR, who was operating remote from Tampa
Florida back to Pelham, NH. K1OR is now Mr. DX, having just polished off
State #49 in Oregon on 222 MHz. We had to chat awhile about that. The
Oregon EME trip by K7KQA was quite the success. It was one of those rare
times when the planets align, and sunshine falls on every part of the
Earth all at once! A whole slew of stations made the grade one right
after the other. It was amazing.  But back to the Tuesday Activity
Night, really, there was so much activity that we could not possibly
work all of the stations who were  on the band that night. We heard many
whom we did not actually contact. I think WZ1V and K1PXE had more
contacts than Al and I made. We did hear KR1ST, K1TR, and a few others
who never made it into the log. We quit at 9 PM as we had other things
going on, but we both agreed that it was great night to be active on 222!

Thanks to all who showed up. There were a number of stations that were
beyond my range for hearing, but I knew they were there plugging away.
AJ6T, K5QE, and W5EME were there along with some W4 stations. I think
AA9MY was on along with a big contingent from the Pacific Northwest, and
all were all making noise on 222.

73

Dave K1WHS