[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night RADIOS

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Wed Dec 22 10:48:52 EST 2021

Hi Mike,

For me the solution involved thinking slightly outside the traditional
box. Nothing new there. I've been outside the box since I first got on
the air 40 years ago!

I can only afford one HF radio. If I'm lucky. I use my FT-2000 for
everything from 160m to 432. 144/222/432 were recently upgraded from old
Microwave Modules stuff to new Q5 Signal transverters. I went to the
trouble of designing and building my own IF switching, attenuation and
multiband sequencing system so all this works pretty smoothly. My
solution is software-centric for control so I cannot run without a
computer. Well, I could if I added a simple manual band selection
switch, which is actually on my to-do list. I use DXLab, so I have
custom VHF band controls defined in Commander. Clicking on 222 switches
the FT-2000 ANT 1 from my HF amp over to a drive attenuator, routes it
from there to the 222 transverter, switches the FT-2000 RX ANT IN from
my low band Beverage control and selection system to the 222
transverter, enables the 222 driver and final amp T/R switching,
activates the 222 sequencer, and sends several CAT commands to the
FT-2000 to configure it for 10W RF output, use the separate RX ANT IN,
and set some other parameters like optimum front end gain (IPO), etc.

I have space problems too. The trnsverters are on a couple of shelves in
  a rack, above my HF and 6 meter amps, antenna switching and noise
nulling panel, and rack mounted computer. I have pretty much used all
the vertical space, floor to ceiling.

My 222 amp is one of the Harris channel 11 decks that I picked up cheap
back when the guy was selling them. Mine got beat up pretty bad in
shipping and seems to be not too healthy. It won't make 1 kW+ like some
others from the same batch I know of. Mine maxxes out at ~850W on a good
day. I have the 25W version of the transverter so I do require an
intermediate amp to get full power. I'm using a small unit with a BLF278
which I got from N1DPM. You know me: never satisfied with anything less
than legal limit. I probably should have held out for a high power
Larcan or built something with a GS35b (which is still on my to-do list
when I can afford it).

73,
Paul N1BUG