[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night RADIOS

Terry Price terry at directivesystems.com
Wed Dec 22 14:21:01 EST 2021

Q5 Signal took over the lower 4 bands from DEMI some time ago. It was my understanding that the fellow who took over these had been building them for DEMI for some time and the quality is just as good as Steve had. I know they make the multiband transverter in a 25w and a high power version. Since they can use BCD data from your radio for auto bandswitching, seems a great way to go!

I bought my 736 within a month of when they arrived in the US, it's made a lot of contacts in almost 40 years but they are an old design and even with the Mutek mods on 2m and 70cm, it still doesn't hold a candlestick to my K3 and DEMI transverters.

Building an IF switch to run your HF rig with transverters is easy. There are many multipole SMA relays on ebay with high isolation and sometimes you can find them with aux contacts to handle PTT switching. Using transverters also makes sequencing for remote LNA's MUCH easier and WAY less chance of accidentally hitting the dreaded MOX button on your rig (I removed mine from my 736 after frying several LNA's!!)

Terry