[VHFcontesting] There is still hope on 6m

Jay RM w9rm at calmesapartners.com
Sun Feb 7 17:04:55 EST 2021

..guess it must be an east coast thing.

All summer, both during and outside the June contest, I could see 50.313
wall-to-wall with LOUD (I'm talking over S9) signals with not a single one
between 50.080 and 50.200.  I run an auxiliary SDR to monitor wideband
activity with sensitivity equal to my main receiver, so I'm NOT missing
anything.  If there's a SSB sig - I see the trace.

During the June contest, I made it a point to CQ on SSB 10 kHz off the
calling channel for WAY longer than I should have, working only an
occasional station.  This was when there were many signals on 313.  Most of
the time, I believe I could have run a higher rate on FT8 thn SSB - which
is pathetic.  Having top-5'ed several times from this QTH, I know what's
possible, and that wasn't it.

Now, I admit that conditions were not all that great in DM58 for the June
test.  Maybe everyone was looking east.  I'm certainly going to give it my
best shot THIS June.  I'll CQ on SSB when the band is open and S&P on
digital when it's not.  I really hope I can run guys on phone.  My patience
grows thin however. Another contest or two with sporadic E and nobody to
run on phone and I'll be following K5TR.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.