[VHFcontesting] Tech Help needed

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Sat Jan 2 11:42:26 EST 2021

I think the problem is that the Q of the antenna is so high that the
elements cannot supply a reasonable reactance at the FT-8 frequency for
the matching section to work with. The solution is to try to tweak the
driven element or maybe director #1 to raise frequency a bit.  After
all, if the elements are not resonant, then no amount of adjustment of
the T match or any other type of matching system, will have any effect.
I have not played with a 6M7, but do note that director #1 is quite
important in coupling into a resonant set of elements.  As you get
farther away from the driven element, the element dimensions are less
important.One way to try a change is to drill and tap the element end so
that you can add more metal if trimming the element shorter does not
give you what you want. A small machine screw can add element length.

Dave K1WHS