[VHFcontesting] contest report from K1DY FN54JQ

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 14:36:10 EST 2021

Station: K1DY
Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN54JQ
Operating Time (hrs): 8

    6:  42     24
    2:  16     10
  222:   5      4
  432:   7      5
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  70     43  Total Score = 3,526

Comments:
I didn't have great hopes for this contest.. Bad weather, potentially really bad
condx and a rotor stuck to the SW. But the snow and ice became rain so no real
antenna icing problems just a lot of precip static on Sunday. The best thing
that could happen for me with fixed antennas whose beamwidth got narrower as I
went up in frequency would be for the band to open on 6 to the SW and it
cooperated on Saturday evening netting me 20 new multipliers in FM and EM
grids.. All this was on SSB, never even looked at FT8! Things died down a bit
and i quit pretty early but looking at FT8 decodes the next morning it seemed
like things kept going.. oh well.. Sunday I spent trying to work the "usual
suspects" on 2-432. QSB was SEVERE and stations would go from S9 to below
the noise in less than a minute! Made 43 q's on SSB and CW and 27 on FT-8! Nice
to hear familiar voices! Thanks to all who got on and looked North! - bill K1DY
in Maine