[VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF Test 3 Band Category - long rant better delete!!

Douglas Dever dougdever at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 22:20:30 EST 2021

I get that long time hams hate FT8 and new hams can't understand why anyone
would use anything other than FT8 because in a text message and Twitter
world no one can have actual dialogue that makes any sense anyways.  I also
understand that FT8 sucks out loud for contesting - especially when you
have very sporadic openings.  (What counts as a completed Q?  Is he
following Joe Taylor and Ed Muns' advice, or does does he want to see a
"73" event though I sent him "RR73" which implied that I had his info and
we were done?  Did he see my 73? Maybe I should send it 6 more times in a
row in case he gets a decode.  Good God, this is why FT-RU has the highest
NIL rate of any contest.)  But....

If it wasn't for the 3 Band overlay and FT8, I wouldn't have participated
this weekend.  Band conditions generally blow in January and I've got
plenty of antenna work to do yet at the new QTH.  So, there I went with my
M2 6m loop and *cross-polarized* on a Comet GP9 vertical, I handed out 159
contacts.  I don't see anyone else in EN91 or EN81 talking about any sort
of 6m opening, so FT8 was about the only way to get grids.  If there wasn't
a SO3B, I likely wouldn't have bothered.  There's no HP for SO3B, so even a
pip-squeak water pistol station has a chance to be competitive within their
section or call area.

Just the view from here...

73 de AB8M
-doug