[VHFcontesting] Prpposal: change SOFM to allow more bands

Gregory Winters greg_winters at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 23:25:28 EST 2021

I'm guessing bandwidth isn't an issue with FM voice being just kHz wide, until something like a wideband gunnplexers are considered. But I might be wrong on that. Some FM ATV 900MHz on up units do exist, though the older PCE and AEA units used are is older Vestigal Sideband, some version of AM, or other things which aren't 'FM'. Like most gunn units they never get used in these contests either, and their use has plummeted.

I'm newer to gunn units (don't have one yet) so I don't know the interference potential to narrowband, or wbFM and/or nbFM vs a narrowband SSB signal or digi on 3cm. I see some units at 10.250/10.280 with a 30MHz IF, and some other X band stuff above 10.500.

On SOFM I realized in the Northwest it was no challenge to win the division so I started multiop'ing to get senior hams back on the air.  They had old equipment and good QTHs but didn't like FM or digital, so I worked those sides. And like SOFM they usually won easily or by default. It worked okay until COVID hit and no one could contest. But given very few SOFM entries in any given contest across all divisions (I was #6 SOFM in the contest overall last year in Jan '20 with a rather minimal effort) I could see they could easily justify eliminating the SOFM class altogether and creating 'all digital' or something.

There was some article (QST?) a year or so ago where some ham wrote about entering and winning a VHF contest to try to drive interest to SOFM. It didn't significantly increase SOFM entries afterward. Uh oh.

I'd probably be happy if it didn't have 6m at all due to cross-polarization, but even moreso the SWR can be really high for other ops at 52.525. Its the #1 reason why I frequently a 'thanks but no thanks' asking for a guy to run at 52.525. To get around it we could have run FM around the SSB and digi segment to deal with the SWR issue (on their end) but only if we wanted people to curse us out. And if 900MHz is under consideration for 6G expansion or whatnot, it would be nice to get people to start actually using it. I'd bet most have FM only if they have anything at all on the band.

100w seems modest enough as a power level, and never occurred to me to propose a change to it. Some of the big guns may want a change to allow QRO SOFM and support a big change only so they can finally win their section on their DC to daylight superstation :/

There is probably some history of why those bands were chosen. I'd be curious what that is, though I am also curious if it is still relevant. Maybe because Yaesu or Icom came out with a quad band FM HT that year LOL

73

Greg