[VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!

chetsubaccount at snet.net chetsubaccount at snet.net
Wed Jan 20 11:19:33 EST 2021

Yes, and my goal for the contest is to make as many Q’s in as many grids, on as many bands as I can.

For me most satisfaction is in the journey- do something myself to my station or operating to make it better and then try it out. This time I built a small table to hold a laptop instead of using a cardboard box on a chair. And I moved the 2M amplifier with the noisy fan behind the wall to lower shack noise. During the contest I make a few notes on things to think about improving before next time.

Interesting note from The ARRL Contest Update for January 20, 2021:

Experiential Density-

A term coined by Valve Software's Half-Life team to characterize the number of events per unit time that a game player experiences. Too many, and a game can become tedious. Too few, a game may be boring. Different people may prefer different levels of experiential density. This term could be a characteristic of contests, or even certain ways to approach contest operating, for example, S&P vs. running.

Chet, N8RA