[VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation! - IT DEPENDS!

z man zm1267 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:37:37 EST 2021

I would also like to add my opinion to the topic. This weekend's contest
was the first in a while (work, family, etc) that I was able to participate
in & give out some points. However, I still had to attend to family things
at the same time. FT8 actually allowed me to talk with the wife while I was
working stations in the test. I had fun, experimented, and found some
equipment improvements I need to make before the spring sprints! Should FT8
be frowned upon? No. I think of it this way... I do not know the code well
enough to use it in a contest, therefore my score will suffer. However,
using FT8 can give me a "somewhat" fighting chance at a decent score.
Imagine what the diehard contester scores will be if they utilize all of
the popular modes available to them! I should've used SSB (and even FM)
more often this past weekend instead of just towards the end, and my my
measly 1860 score proves it. Lesson learned. I also see it as an
alternative to just calling CQ over and over once you've worked the locals.

I still had fun! That's the point of this HOBBY, isn't it? Oh yeah,
experimenting is in there too...

'Till next time,
Larry
N1MIW