[VHFcontesting] Where have all the multi & limited & all stations gone?

n6ze n6ze at aol.com
Fri Jan 29 16:58:34 EST 2021

Sad to say, times continue to change , & some of us think NOT for the better.

My formative years were with K1YLU on mt wachusett, ma & i also spent some time in the 90s with WB2ODH/6 on Mt Pinos/Frazier, ca.

Those were great times, but fewer people with substantial stations overall are very active with 50mhz & up any more.

I work to get get newbies active, but most do not progress beyond using a J-pole instead of a rubber duckie.

I’ve been roving a bit & that specialized bit of ham radio is still fun: even a hard fought 33cm QSO with an ALINCO handheld & small yagi is fun.

At my age, transporting a bunch of extra gear & antennae does NOT entice me to carry more gear & cables to do FT....

Just remember that 50mhz & up contesting varies greatly in different parts of north America.  An effort which yields 20 qso & 4 grids is a joke in most cases: in Reno, nv that is a huge effort; in worcester, ma that is not an effort at all.

BUT, i’m gonna continue vhf contesting.
Bt73
Pete, n6ze/k1fjm

Sent from my iPhone