[VHFcontesting] Casual operators on ft8

Terry Price terry at directivesystems.com
Sun Jan 31 09:43:46 EST 2021

Please remember this is a VHF CONTESTING reflector. Conversations and
comments reflect views on VHF CONTESTING. I love FT8, I've worked grids
during contests that I would not have been able to work without it. Just
like MSK144 and JTXX, without them it is way more difficult. I wish I would
of had JTXX in the 1980's when I completed my 2m WAS, my ears would be much
better off for it!!  Lots of folks have worked lots of DX on 6m that they
wouldn't have otherwise worked, me included. The mode is NOT the issue,
it's the way you can't transfer anything other than the absolute necessary
info for a legal contact and during a busy contest with everyone crowded in
one passband QRMing each other it would be like everyone calling CQ on SSB
on 144.200. Now it does work on a single frequency and folks do make lots
of contacts and out west where the shear numbers of folks are less, I'm
sure the QRM factor is less but having another +20 or higher signal will
degrade your sensitivity and may cause the contact to take longer as
decodes are affected. When 6m opens with Es, FT8 is the worst mode you
could use due to it's slow rate and when the band opens good and all
signals are loud, the QRM factor increases exponentially.

Someone else posted it but let me reiterate, the object of a contest is to
work as many different stations on as many different bands in as many
different grids as you can. While not impossible, it's very, VERY difficult
to pass " W2XYZ, do you have any other bands?" If you know what bands
another station has, you can send a frequency to them and hope they see it
and understand but when it's sent, it is not in RED so in a busy
environment, they might miss it. It has worked in the past for me but maybe
10% of the time.

The discussion centers around what is the most efficient operating
technique to use during a contest to maximize your score and to incorporate
digital modes like FT8 while not just sitting on 50.313 or 144.174 and
ignoring other modes that convey more useful information - like "yes, I
have 222 through 10 GHz !!". I think it's unrealistic to "outlaw" digital
modes, the genie is out of the bottle and it ain't going back!! My hope is
the folks with HF+6m radios that load up their tribander on 6m that use
FT8, get the bug to install a real 6m antenna and try longer haul
communications using SSB or cw.

The best option I've heard is allowing multiple modes per band
with different point values, like 1 for digital, 2 for cw and 3 for SSB.
This will give incentive to work other modes but this is going to create
confusion also. Say you work W2XYZ on 50.313 with FT8 and then you just
flip the mode switch to SSB and call him there, completely legal but you
certainly aren't going to make a lot of friends that way! So if adopted,
something will have to be worked out. Limiting activity time or % of
contacts would be difficult, maybe activity time periods but that has the
drawback of timing of short band openings.

In EM57, your 6 and 2 rates may be higher, but how do you move those folks
to 222 or 432? Random chance? Remember, as you go higher in frequency and
antenna gain increases beamwidths narrow and the "searchlight effect" is
more pronounced. ON4KST can help but COUNTLESS times I text someone there
and never get an answer or it's 15 minutes later and I've moved on. Some
stations don't operate the whole contest, they may have other commitments
so being able to tell them at the time you work them to QSY to another band
is important. At some point you get information overload from watching
ON4KST, your cell phones, an FT8 decode screen and trying not to knock your
beer all over the keyboard!!

There is no one size fits all and just like folks in the west are QSO
limited, digital modes help some more than others. It is an undeniable fact
that it's harder to move folks to higher bands quickly and it affects
rovers and multiband stations more. It also affects multiops with reduced
activity on upper bands it's not as enjoyable for the ops of those bands
because they are used to getting passes from their 6m or 2m ops to work
someone on a higher band so some may be more inclined to not participate in
a muliop group because of diminished activity.

We need to find common ground that helps to generate more activity on ALL
bands which is the most healthy for all VHFers.

Once again, I'm NOT opposed to FT8, we just need to figure out the best way
to mix it in and help mentor others to use it wisely.

Terry Price - W8ZN