[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 MHz Activity Night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Jul 15 08:49:39 EDT 2021

Hello Paul

Well, that is one mystery that has been solved. I heard you calling me,
so I called you on CW and then switched to my small 2 X8 element yagis
that were pointing NW, but only heard noise. I called with no results,
so then went back to the bigger yagis aimed SW,, figuring that maybe
something was wrong. I called and called but never heard you again.
Now I know why! Learning that 144 MHz is open to W0 and W5 will do that.
Then being able to work the VE3s on 10 GHz  rain scatter is icing on the
cake! Congratulations.

At the moment I am feeling overwhelmed. There is so much work here, and
none of it involves sitting in a chair and operating on a favorite band.
My plans to get 10 GHz running again seems so far away.  I am now doing
some serious thinking about what I want to be doing in the future.  I
have to make some BIG  changes for sure.

As for 222 Night, with the widespread 144 MHz opening, the activity was
almost non existent early on. I did manage to work K1DS and then K3JJZ
on SSB, but I could see what was happening via the chat pages. Everybody
was working everywhere on 144 and having a blast.  K1DS had a great
signal with 35 watts and a 3 el yagi. Unbelievable.  W2BVH was also
worked and Len was very loud on QSB peaks at about 250 miles.

Slowly, as the opening died, some stragglers appeared on 222. K1PXE was
great copy now that his antenna turns again. I  caught KA2LIM in FN12
while he was also working the Es on 144.  While 144 was hot, I made
noise on 222 CW and even the dreaded FT-8, in hopes that maybe the MUF
might hit 222. It did not at my place, but I did hear K1RZ in FM19, and
K3WHC in FN10 on FT8 while their beams were aiming west for 222 Es as
well.  I tried CW on 222.100 and then FT8 in hopes that the ionization
might reach us on 222. N2JMH called in on FT8 and I did also manage a
QSO with K3WHC after the Es died down.

Other contacts include KO4YC on SSB no less, at 525 miles or so, along
with Howard, WA3EOQ at just over 500 miles.  I had a nice chat with
VE2XX in FN25 and then a great QSO out west with VE3DS first on CW and
then we switched to SSB as signals were very good. Dana is at about 433
miles. He peaked at 589 on CW! And what night would not be complete
without a contact with WZ1V?  Ron got on 222 after the fireworks on 144
stopped.

There is much tree cutting in my future. CU on 222 night, next week!

73

Dave K1WHS