[VHFcontesting] rover site in Reading PA probably unavailable

Pete K0BAK rxr978-vhf at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 18:57:49 EDT 2021

To any rovers considering operating from a popular site overlooking Reading Pennsylvania, at the stone fire tower at Mount Penn in FN20bi13:

Although I haven't checked recently in person, it is likely that this spot popular with area VHF rovers will be unavailable. I noticed the parking lot was locked with chains back in April, and earlier Tyler KM3G was disappointed in January.

Being less than an hour away from my home and one of the highest accessible spots between the Appalachians and the Atlantic coastal plain made it my #1 VHF operating location for the past 6 years or so.

I have tried without success to find out when if ever this place will be open again to the public. The furthest I got was a link to a "special event" form from the City of Reading, meant for things like car and people races; even getting that far was like questioning a hostile witness in court, no information was volunteered.

I couldn't even find out whether the closure was related to Covid, or related to the long-delayed repair of the tower, or just due to crime. So I can't even guarantee that the site will still be closed this weekend, but that's what I would bet.

The scenic pullovers on the west side of Skyline Drive were still available as of April, but it's difficult to hear the rich set of VHF stations around Philly and South Jersey from that side of the mountain ... but it's better than nothing I guess.

Good luck in the contest everyone.

-- Pete K0BAK