[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Contest and antenna work

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Mon Jun 14 08:46:46 EDT 2021

Paul,

It sounds like you got  a lot done. It also sounds like you definitely
had fun working some stations on the VHF bands. From the notes you
provided. I would think that your 222 and 432 stuff is functioning well.
W3CCX is a long way off!

I was trying to get my 432 stuff back to working shape, and ran into all
sorts of problems. Most of them were of my own doing. It has been so
long since the stuff was operational that I forgot how it was all hooked
up. I was in the middle of a big 432 modification when I got ill back in
2017 and nothing was documented. It was slow going. By the time 2 PM
Saturday rolled around, I was exhausted from climbing the 432 tower
trying to test and troubleshoot all the problems etc.  The only
difference between you and me was that I did not take a nap. heh heh.

You had a good signal on both bands. I think I was using the 2X 8 el on
222. On 432, I worked you off the back of the beam. (4 X 25 el)

432 still needs a bunch of work here. The VSWR is sky high on transmit.
Not sure why, as the antennas are nicely matched, and the feedline has
30 dB return loss on 432. Maybe a cable inside the relay box on the
tower is flakey?  I also have awful interference on 432 that sounds like
cell tower interference. It is loud popping that hangs up the AGC. I
used a K2 radio for the 432 IF and the popping noises made copy
difficult to impossible all the time. I need to track it down. It is a
game stopper.

Best fun of the contest was listening for (and not working)  W0LD on 144
meteors using CW in 30 second periods. Lots of bursts and weak cw notes
way down in the noise. It made my day just listening to it with my own
ears!!  I am glad I got my 144 antenna fixed. Many 222 and 432 signals
were quite watery as well and made things interesting.  I am also
thrilled that you are back on some of the VHF bands from FN55. Now Bill,
K1DY, and I can turn our antennas NE!

73

Dave K1WHS