[VHFcontesting] The impact of the digital modes on the January VHF Contest and some suggestions on dealing with those impacts

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 20:57:53 EDT 2021

Marshall - You wrote "However, the total scores of everyone in the contest has gone DOWN due to the fact that FT8 takes so long to make a contact.”

I suppose you used “everyone” for effect, but the facts don’t bear it out, at least for the January contest. Consider the K5QE Limited Multioperator scores since they switched from the Unlimited Multioperator category in 2014, separated into before the introduction of the WSJT-X modes and the three years after the introduction of WSJT-X:

January VHF Contest scores
Year		Total Score
—Pre WSJT-x—
2014	75969
2015	94724
2016	69344
2017	61,766
—With WSJT-X—
2018	79205
2019	76212
2020	94941

September VHF Contest scores

Year		Total Score
—Pre WSJT-x—
2013	78740
2014	NA
2015	48320
2016	NA
2017	63570
—With WSJT-X—
2018	43420
2019	60606
2020	47142

June VHF Results
Year		Total Score
—Pre WSJT-x—
2013	383691
2014	483448
2015	273000
2016	629241
2017	409260
—With WSJT-X—
2018	394272
2019	252170
2020	220640

It doesn’t look like your total scores have gone down much since the introduction of WSJT-X. Now, I realize that there are a lot of factors that enter into your scores,