[VHFcontesting] The impact of the digital modes on the January VHF Contest and some suggestions on dealing with those impacts

Paul Bourque pbourque at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 22:54:31 EDT 2021

Marshall wrote:
> I like the idea of checking for
> SSB on the hour and the half hour.? It is easy to program a button on
> your rig that goes to 50.125MHz. Push the button for a quick check on
> SSB and if nothing is there, go back to FTx.? Announcing an SSB opening
> on the reflectors would help too.

True enough, but you just can’t “check” to see if you hear anyone.  Gotta
get in and call CQ if you don’t hear anyone.  I think it would be well
served if some of the contesting clubs would have their members agree to
check for SSB and even FM activity on a schedule.  That was where you’d
find some casual contacts back years ago.

> OH WELL, June is approaching and we will get another chance. Hopefully,
> we will get some killer Es and we can make contacts like crazy.

Here’s hoping that conditions are good in June!

73,
Paul N1SFE