[VHFcontesting] More January digital points

Jay RM w9rm at calmesapartners.com
Sat Mar 20 11:43:49 EDT 2021

*********
I also think it healthy to have these discussions about mode selections,
but it does no one any good to exaggerate the issues and solutions.   In
most cases data, or common sense, is available to support or refute claims
that are made. W9RM is a damn good op, as you saw when he operated at your
station, but he does not do sustained rates of 480 an hour or more on 6M
even when Es is in. There is no reason to imply that to make the point that
SSB/CW is more efficient than FT8 or FT4. The actual numbers paint a bad
enough picture. 200 an hour, which is an achievable sustainable rate for
Keith, is still better than the best rate achievable with FT4, probably 100
to 120 an hour, if the activity is there, which it is not currently.
***********

I have not been following this because I have my own opinion on being
required to contest more and more exclusively using digital modes (I just
won't do it...), but, I have NEVER made any claim whatsoever of running the
kind of rate mentioned in that paragraph.  200/hr is easy when conditions
allow, but I don't know where that other number came from.  Certainly not
from me.

Setting the record straight....

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse