[VHFcontesting] Serious and non-serious categories in VHF contesting

JamesDuffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Mon Mar 22 12:45:16 EDT 2021

I am not sure what point you are trying to make, but there are no new categories. And, again, I am not sure how you are trying to categorize the current contestants, but casual is probably a better categorization than non-serious.

Amateur radio contesting is a unique sociological competitive interaction. Unlike most contests, the scores of the top (serious, if you will) competitors, depends on the scores of everyone else (including the casual) in the competition, making QSOs. And the scores of the casual competitors depend on the scores of the top contesters. The scores of everyone in the contest depends on the scores of everyone else in the contest. The competitive stations do their best when the casual operators make more QSOs. Currently the concern is that the casual contestants are primarily on digital modes; while there are more of them, they are not making as many QSOs as they could, which impacts the competitive contester. There are no other competitions that I know of where the top scorers are dependent on how well everyone else does. That is one of issues with the casual operators using the digital modes exclusively. - Duffey KK6MC

James Duffey KK6MC
Cedar Crest NM