[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Nights

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Fri May 28 05:59:32 EDT 2021

Dave,

Thanks for getting the 222 Activity Night going! It's a great idea. I
love 222! Unfortunately, life has intervened every time. I've been
having a pretty tough time this past year or so, and by 7 PM I am either
already sleeping or so utterly exhausted I don't care about anything but
going to sleep. I hate this! I am doing everything possible to get
better regulated so I can be functional in the evenings!

When I get my 6 and 2 meter antennas fixed I will be scratching around 2
meters in the mornings. Perhaps I can coax a few to try 222.

I do things a little differently with my HV supply. There are two DPST
normally open relays with 40A contacts and 24 VDC coils in the PS. One
of them serves as the power switch in the 230VAC line. Its coil goes to
a connector which has a cable running to the RF deck. In the RF deck is
the 24VDC supply so the remotely located HVPS (in a corner behind a 6
foot rack full of stuff) can be controlled from there. The other relay
has a big power resistor across its contacts for the current limiter.
This relay coil goes to a comparator using either a LM741 or LM311, I
forget which! The comparator gets 24VDC from the same place as the power
relay but has a RC time constant circuit on its input, with a trimmer
potentiometer to adjust the time delay. The delay between the main power
relay being energized and energizing of this second relay to short out
the resistor in the 230VAC line is thereby adjustable. I was initially a
little concerned about reliability but I have been using this system now
for 20 years without one single glitch. The step start relay clicks in
with a nice crisp 'clunk' as opposed to the bit of a growl I experienced
in the past with 115VAC or 230VAC coil relays trying to pull in as the
voltage on their coil ramped up. There is a small relay on the
comparator circuit board to control the big relay. Some would call this
overly complicated. I suppose it does violate the KISS principle, but so
far I haven't had cause to regret it.

I used the same step start circuit in the unregulated 50V 25A supply for
my 2200 meter amplifier, which has 94,000 uF of filter capacitance.

73,
Paul N1BUG