[VHFcontesting] K5QE in the ARRL EME contest....

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Fri Nov 19 09:51:12 EST 2021

Hi Marshall,

I had high hopes of spending some time on 222 EME this weekend, but my
internet connection to my shack on the hill has died again, and I cannot
even access either unit to check diagnostics. I climbed up the 100 ft
tower and checked the links. They are both powered up, but there is no
link signal and I have no clue what I can do to fix it at this point. I
cannot find either unit with a computer address to check the settings.
Both units have become "bricks". I think I need a new pair of units.
(more $$$)  Not having internet makes digital EME very difficult as I
cannot have accurate timing, and of course, there is no coordination
with any chat pages.  It seems that maintaining a remote shack is
becoming too much of a bother as stuff gets old (including the operator)

That being said, I can drag up a time corrected laptop and try to
interface it in the station and look for contacts directly on 222 MHz.
Who knows, I might get lucky and find someone! Operating up there is
always like a dxpedition. I have to make my own internet. I have to make
my own power, maintain the road for washouts,  and, in the colder months
have to figure out a way to not freeze to death. What can possibly go wrong?

Dave K1WHS