[VHFcontesting] 222MHz Activity Night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Mon Oct 11 17:54:34 EDT 2021

Hello Pete and 222 folks

Well I am back from my Downeast trip and visiting some old friends.  It
was rather convenient that the backyard of his house slopes down to the
most famous fishing pool in Grand Lake Stream. (The Hatchery Pool). I
went down there a few times and rubbed shoulders with all the expert fly
fishermen who inhabit that pool this time of year. It is fly fishing
only and catch and release! The salmon are starting their run up the
river to spawn. They get a bit large. I managed to net two of them, and
one was a semi-monster. It would not fit in my net and I had a heck of a
time landing it with my 5 weight fly rod!  I had enough excitement doing
that to keep me charged up until next year when the fishin' starts up again.

I am all keyed up for another 222 Activity Night tomorrow. Circle the
date , October 12 and things get started after dinner at about 7 PM
local time. That is 2300 UT. I looked at the Hepburn map and it looks OK
for a change. There are actually some colors in the northeast! Try to
get on and make a little noise even if you are in an area with very
little activity.  Don't forget the chat pages. If there is no local
activity you might try a long sked out of your local area. Here in the
NE, things slow down around 0130 UT and many around here would love to
run a sked to make the evening more interesting. Most use ON4KST Chat
144/432 Region 2. By 0130 I am looking for skeds typically. FT8, JT65,
MSK144, even long haul CW skeds. Sometimes you can be amazed by propagation!

CU on 222!

Dave K1WHS