[VHFcontesting] Antenna setback

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Fri Sep 17 11:41:25 EDT 2021

Hi folks,

Rumors concerning my imminent return to the bands may have been slightly
overstated!

I had an incident this morning. While jacking the mast to raise it and
get the rotator back in the tower, the coax on the 222 and 432 yagis got
caught somewhere and I didn't notice until it was too late. There are so
many tasks to juggle, so many things to watch and be aware of, but only
one of me to do it all. Those two antennas will have to come back down
to have the coax replaced. 2m may also be damaged, but I can't be sure
until I lower the mast to where I can look at it more closely.

This is a significant setback and I am not sure what is going to happen
now. Assuming I can budget for new coax and connectors, this will set me
back about a month. I have to climb on average three times for each
antenna, both taking them down and putting them back up. With weather
and other factors, I don't get many days that I can work. I will have to
consider whether it would be in my best interest to set this aside until
Spring and try to get the HF tower repaired for winter instead of
starting over on this VHF stuff. I'm not likely to have time for both
and I need to get SOMETHING operational.

73,
Paul N1BUG