[VHFcontesting] Fun 2m Sprint

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Tue Apr 12 07:39:07 EDT 2022

There was sufficient activity to provide 15 QSOs, 9 grids in just under
90 minutes of operating. That is better than I get these days in any of
the major all band VHF contests and enough to make it fun. Best DX was
N2NT on SSB. Conditions seemed very poor. It was good to hear some
familiar voices and see some familiar calls.

I am sure I could have made a few more but I got distracted seeing an
email about VNA testing of some microwave parts I sent out. The effort
to get on 10 GHz has become my primary focus, just as the 2200m quest
before it. I still enjoy VHF operating when there is sufficient activity
to be making QSOs rather than mostly listening to noise but there is no
denying I have become an explorer and thrill seeker above all else. On
cost factors, 10 GHz is the most extreme challenge I have taken on to
date, and is the reason I scaled back operating and a lot of other
stuff. I am determined to do this crazy thing.

There was one mystery which I find somewhat unsettling. The amp was only
making 900 watts instead of the usual 1300. I tweaked the plate tuning
and it came back to 1300. Reflected power was so low as to be
unmeasurable, as it has been all along. So why would the plate tuning
change? It was more than a full 360 degree turn of the knob, probably
closer to two full turns, so a bump doesn't explain it. As recently as a
couple years ago I would have blamed the cat, but at 17 he isn't messing
with stuff nearly as much as he used to. Ya know, that's one nice thing
about FT8. You don't have to pause operating to tweak the amp!

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf