[VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint FN55

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Wed Apr 20 05:52:03 EDT 2022

As K1DY noted with surprise when I worked him, I was up way past my
bedtime. I was there for 3 hours, 45 minutes. I can't remember the last
time I was awake and functioning at nearly 11 PM.

Conditions at the start were as bad as they get... or worse! I almost
went outside to see if my tower was laying on the ground! It was cold
and windy, having rained most of the day with a touch of ice and sleet
early. Toward the end conditions seemed to pick up.

I worked:

N1JEZ FN44 SSB
WZ1V FN31 CW
K1WHS FN43 CW
K1TEO FN31 SSB
N2NT FN20 CW 437 miles
K1PXE FN31 CW
K1TR FN42 CW
W1GHZ FN34 CW
N1DPM FN32 SSB
VE2XX FN25 CW
W1AIM FN34 CW
K1DY FN54 SSB
N2JQR FN13 FT8 459 miles
N2JMH FN12 FT8 470 miles +12 loud!

It was really nice to work so many on my favorite mode, CW.

I tried with W1XR at 560 miles on CW. Jim's signal was EME level but I
was able to copy enough to understand the message for at least 4
consecutive ~30 second transmissions. It was not pings. The signal was
there all the time but right around the copy threshold. We did not work.
I figured that was a fluke but later heard him about the same strength
working someone else. Wow. Jim must have some setup and location. We
must try that again on a normal to enhanced night.

As always, there were some I heard but never worked.

Thanks to the organizers and everyone who got on for a fun Sprint.

Do you suppose N1BUG might set a precedent by showing up three weeks in
a row? Tune in next Tuesday night to find out!

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf