[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Aug 9 22:02:16 EDT 2022

220 Night was a lot of fun up here in the wilds of Maine.  First QSO was
Mike, N1JEZ. The weather was a bit weird as the afternoon was warm and
humid, but it had cooled off by 7 PM and soon my little hilltop was in
the clouds. Heavy fog and drizzle!  When I drove home, the house was in
the clear although it was still drizzling slightly.  The house was not
in the clouds. Signals from around the area were uniformly good for a
typical summer night. The K2DLL beacon in FN23 was pretty loud at about
-108 dBm with the noise floor at about -144 or so. That is 36 dB above
the noise. WZ1V and K1PXE were very active from CT. WA1PBU was QRV from
MA. W1AIM & N1JEZ represented Vermont. Dick, W1ZC and WA1T were on from
NH.  I heard WA3EOQ very well from western Maryland, and tried a sked
with N1GC in EM95 along with K9MRI in EN70. No tropo signals heard but a
few meteors were there to keep things interesting!  K2RMX and W2BVU were
very loud from the NYC area, and N2BFJ was a late contact from FN30 on
Long Island. Somehow, I missed Al W9KXI in western New York. No VE2s or
VE3s were heard.

I listened a bit for W5EME on a too far MS path and heard nil this time.
Thanks to all who were on and trying!

73

Dave K1WHS