[VHFcontesting] pre-amp hookup help

Chris Lumens chris at lumensoutdoors.org
Tue Feb 8 12:20:04 EST 2022

Hey, everyone.  I've been thinking about this for some time but haven't
gotten it figured out.  It's only mildly off topic for this group.

The extremely short story is that I want to add a 70cm mast mount preamp
for my home satellite setup.  That doesn't seem too hard - sequencers,
bias tees, etc. - but of course it's the details that make it difficult.

I have two antennas and two radios.  The radios are an FT-818 and an
IC-7000.  Several years ago while roving, I broke the headphone jack on
my IC-7000 and according to Icom, fixing it requires replacing the whole
face place, which is expensive.

Therefore, instead of what most people do, I have a TX radio and and RX
radio.  Some sats have a 2m downlink/70cm uplink, and some have the
reverse so that means I have to switch the cables back and forth between
the two radios.

That is what makes adding a pre-amp hard, as far as I can tell.  It
could potentially be hooked up to either radio and that could change
several times in a given day.  That means I don't want to have a manual
step involved, because one day I will forget to do it and that'll blow
up the pre-amp.

I could fix this by buying a replacement face plate ($), a second FT-818
($$), or an IC-9700 ($$$) but I really don't want another radio right
now.  If I could get the pre-amp out of the way by simply sending a
signal down the coax, I could probably fix this by also buying a 2m
pre-amp, ensuring there's always a pre-amp that needs to get out of the
way.

My other concern is: I'm not sure a sequencer alone is gonna fix my
problems.  When I key up the mic, there will be RF present on the coax
before the sequencer has gotten time to act.  I don't believe the
IC-7000 has any sort of TX inhibit, so I don't know how to tell the
radio to not actually transmit until things have switched over.

Any clever ideas for dealing with these two problems?  Thanks!

--
Chris Lumens - KG6CIH
Hike * MTB * XC Ski * Haskell