[VHFcontesting] FT8 and VHF contesting

John Golomb john.golomb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 18:24:55 EST 2022

Put me in the "keep growing" crowd.  Yes FT8 is disruptive, but, I think
overall it is net positive for getting newer callsigns active on weak
signal VHF.

It's not just FT8.  Spotting networks and allowing QSO's to be lined up on
internet chat pages keeps people from calling CQ on SSB/CW too.

If you haven't, check out the new features in the latest WSJT-X release to
make it easier to use TX5 messages to pass people to other modes and
bands.  Some good summaries and hints are in the two most recent Packrats
Newsletters.

http://www.packratvhf.com/index.php/newsletter

I'm hoping to have some success with this to get people from FT8 to 6m or
2m SSB and then "run the bands" on SSB/CW.

We will do our part by CQing on 6m and 2m CW/SSB a lot from N2NT weekend.
"There's no one on SSB or CW!".  Well -- call CQ there.

Have fun everyone!

- John N2NC (@N2NT)

PS:  Weak CW shows up pretty good on SDR waterfalls.