[VHFcontesting] FW: CQWW VHF N8RA SOAB LP

chetsubaccount at snet.net chetsubaccount at snet.net
Mon Jul 18 09:58:45 EDT 2022

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2022

Call: N8RA
Operator(s): N8RA
Station: N8RA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CT- FN31
Operating Time (hrs): 10
OpMode: SO2R

    6:  146    57
    2:   61    21
-------------------
Total:  207    78  Total Score = 20,904

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

6M from the northeast USA was rife with E, F, TEP DX earlier in the  week. Those hoping for that to continue for the contest were likely disappointed. Those who just wanted a short VHF contest with some E’s were happy, and I had a good time.

I started the contest on SSB and it was SLOW. Ugh, where was the usual opening activity from the big guns? Nobody seemed very loud. Moved to FT-8 but came back to SSB when the weak E’s got strong and worked quite a few more mults there until it faded away again. Early Sat evening my Q and mult counts were about equal from FT-8 vs. SSB/CW. Not bad!

Sunday was a slow but steady rate day with BIC (butt in chair) required. Took a break Sun AM to serve my parish church. That’s important but hoped to not miss ”the big opening”.

Checked FT-4 a few times and found only one station and made a fast Q. But nobody else. Too bad, that could have been good with the quick in and out nature of the E’s. Perhaps it is like fisherman who will go to a spot along the stream where the known skilled fishermen are catching fish. I’m also guilty because I did not call there either. Should have tried!

One DX station had an interesting way of handling his FT-8 pileup. He just acknowledged receiving a call and grid and then moved on to the next station, as if handling a pileup on phone.  We shall see how that adjudicates out…

In summary it was satisfying to play with the toys and nothing broke! It was wonderful to work a lot of new calls. The current RC release of WSJT-X nicely handled callers who were not in contest mode. Thank you! It was also good to see how many stations did not feel the need to send 73’s back and forth and back before moving on. The contest duration is very nice: starts at 2 pm local Saturday and ends 5PM Sunday.

73,
Chet, N8RA