[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz EME Weekend

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Fri May 13 13:32:49 EDT 2022

This Friday evening and Saturday evening look to be pretty good times
for EME activity in North America.   A bunch of 222 EME ops are planning
to be on  222.080 +/- experimenting and checking out their stations.
The Moon will be rising across the country at this time, so horizon only
antenna systems can get in on some fun. You never know until you try,
but I suspect many 222 ops can hear and possibly work other stations via
the Moon route.    One long yagi and 100 watts can be successful with
some stations. More power is obviously better.

We all monitor the HB9Q Logger (pick the 222 page)  It is easy to use,
but there is a simple registration process needed if you have not tried
it before.    I live in Maine, almost as far East as you can be in the
USA. If activity starts at 2200 UT Friday, the Moon will be just rising
in Ohio and any mid west hams could and should be listening and
monitoring the HB9Q website/chat page.  Most activity is JT65B but other
modes can and will be used as well. Just be sure that you are using
WSJT-x .

I will be QRV starting about 2200 UT on Friday, and about 2300 UT on
Saturday night.    Join in the fun!  We will probably go up to or past
0300 or 0400 UT each night depending on the activity level.

73

Dave K1WHS