[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz EME Weekend

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Sat May 14 09:28:26 EDT 2022

Friday was pretty exciting, and conditions seemed quite good.  I was
active from about 2200 UT to 0200 UT.   There was a very good amount of
activity.   For Saturday, I hope to be QRV at about 23:30 UT or so. I am
planning on fishing during the day and will try to get home in time to
partake of the good conditions.   If you have an "itch" to see if your
222 receive system is up to snuff, listening on your Moon rise is a good
way to see.  Most of us have noise issues on the horizon.  With digital
TV and their broadband noise-like signals, front end overload can be a
problem that you do not even recognize. The TV signals sound like cosmic
noise.  Listening for weak EME signals on your horizon is a good test.

At 23:30 this evening, my Moon position will be at 10 degrees
elevation.  The Moon will be up already in the midwest and southeast,
but I can't really get home any earlier.  My Moonrise in Maine is the
same time as Moonrise in Ohio today. The reason is that the Moon
declination is now -14 degrees below the celestial equator. Maine is
farther North!

73

Dave K1WHS