[VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 MHz activity Night and other stuff

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Oct 4 08:50:22 EDT 2022

It seems that when ever KA6U decides to set up his portabopple 222 MHz
antenna, it turns into a major operating event!   So Tuesday night
activity will also include an EME sub division. WA4NJP will be on this
evening with his huge parabola, and  N0AKC will be on as well from the
midwest.  I am sure that there will be more.  This could be a good time
for those with horizon only antennas to listen for and see if you can
decode anything after it makes the 500,00 mile trip to the Moon and back.

A quick look at the Moon trajectory for this evening shows that it will
be rising  in the midwest around EN20 at about 2145 UT and will be at 11
degrees at 2300 UT. The declination is about as far South (low) as
possible, so the elevation change is fairly slow for stations in the
north. If you are way down South like around Georgia, the Moon comes up
earlier at about 20:45 UT, and is at 11 degrees elevation at 2145 UT.
For those on the East Coast, the Moon is up pretty high by 2200 UT or so
at about 15 degrees.  I am planning to be on at 2200 UT  looking at the
Moon, and then switch to the horizon for tropo contacts for awhile. The
time between 23:30 and 00:30 is a hot time for local activity here in
the NE, but I will stick around and lurk on the HB9Q page after that,
for any EME attempts. My Moonset is at about 0500 UT. My maximum
elevation is about 22 degrees at 0100UT, so you see that a horizon only
station has a chance to detect something even if they cannot elevate
anything. It is worth a try.

The HB9Q chat page is at https://hb9q.ch/2018/

If you are a new user, you have to supply an e mail address I think,
before you can post anything, but sign up is simple and when you are all
registered, just select the 222 EME Logger button and you are ready to
roll! I have worked a few midwest and western stations with their tropo
antennas. It is amazing how loud they can get if running a KW.  If you
have 100 watts, it may be a struggle, but you never know until you try.
This evening promises to have very low degradation, so it could be
great!  I will be on the ON4KST chat page too. I think I will be a busy
boy!  I hope the generator works!!

KA6U has been re working his portable station and had a single 222 yagi
setup to start, but now is up to TWO yagis and is at the testing stage
before he is ready to deploy around the country on his next adventure.
Give it a try if you are able and be sure to watch the HB9Q logger 222
page. I will be there well after 01:30 UT as the local activity dies down.

73 and good luck this evening

Dave K1WHS