[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 432 Sprint K1WHS

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Oct 6 10:37:52 EDT 2022

Hello Good Buddy Ron!

I am in the middle of re vamping my VHF shack from multi-op to single-op
and have just gotten started. Running 432 from a different operating
spot posed some problems as the rotator control boxes are not re located
yet. You can imagine how that worked out! So I fuddled around and made
do with what I had. The automagic band switching worked great for its'
first run.  I got on right at 2300 UT and was immediately aware that
activity was sparse. Our weather here was not good, with drizzle and
rain swirling around. It did not take long to realize that signals were
not so good either. I did a lot of listening and did not call CQ very
often. I figured that activity was so low that endless CQing would not
produce much. I watched ON4KST and looked for people that way. Sometimes
it worked out. Other times, my plan failed miserably.  The chat page can
get overloaded real fast. Messages are missed.

I worked 25 stations in 17 grids. A few of my contacts were on FT8. For
the first time, I had a setup where I could run FT8 on 432.  I had to
ask what frequency the activity was on. I had no clue!  At one point, I
noted that my RF output had dropped to zero!  I missed about 45 minutes
of prime time, while checking what was wrong. I had no output from the
transverter. I figured that something had died inside, but reworking the
28 MHz rf cables brought it to life. I think I have an intermittent BNC
cable.   I decided to get back on and try a few more contacts. An
attempt with WA3EOQ failed miserably. He barely could tell I was there.
On my end, I heard a few parts of cw letters.  A few weeks ago in the
Sept contest, Howard was 559 up here.  I needed a QSB peak and did not
get one.  I never got to run with many stations, but I was more
interested in getting used to the new operating setup, and I was taking
mental notes on how to proceed. I have much re working to do by moving
shelf heights and adding more shelves to accomodate more rotators and
antenna switches.  I think I get the most enjoyment whenever I embark on
these changes.  All in all, it was a fun evening even with the poor
condx. TNX to K1DY and KV1J for getting on to represent the Pine Tree
State. I looked for N1BUG, but I think he had a case of Qwertyitis!

Dave K1WHS