[VHFcontesting] [222Activity] 222 Nite Summary

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Oct 26 10:16:18 EDT 2022

Hi Al & vhfers

The 10 GHz guys are all excited about the red blob this morning, but
there is no activity. When I quit last night just before 02:00, the red
blob was looking quite impressive. It went from VE3 down to Florida in a
thin line.  It is there this AM but not as pronounced.  It would be
really nice to hear reports from others who were inside the "blob" to
see how it related to their experience with typical CW and SSB paths.
The APRS map is generated by (obviously)  APRS signals that are
typically low power small gain antennas so their coverage is quite
small. Such signals are heavily influenced by local conditions where
inversion layers will provide huge improvements within say 200 miles but
no farther.  Our situation, with higher power and bigger antennas
already provides the gain needed to extend coverage well beyond those
short ranges.

  I am reminded of the experience of Ross Hull back in the early 1930's
on the 5 meter band. Modulated oscillators and whips were the typical
setup. Coverage was 15-20 miles.  Ross had been to Brandt Rock, South of
Boston and saw a telephone company radio link that used a high gain
array to cross Cape Cod Bay. He duplicated that array on his 5 meter
station located on Selden Hill in West Hartford and immediately started
contacting hams in the Boston area all the time. They all thought he was
a bootlegger as no one had ever heard signals from so far away. All
because he put up a big antenna!  His coverage went from LOS paths  to
diffraction and tropo scatter range immediately.  This revelation got
him on the road to discovering the mechanism of tropospheric refraction.

I was well out of the path of the big red blob but did note some slight
enhancement on WA3EOQ. We are talking about maybe 5 dB on average. On a
500 mile path a 5 dB improvement sure comes in handy as signals are very
weak. Path loss is around 240 dB +/-.   I did work N2SLO on Long Island
in New York and his signal might have been a bit weaker than normal.
Not sure how to explain that. Maybe a case of path QSB alone. Maybe we
worked on a QSB trough!

So did anyone note any anomalous long haul contacts during the evening?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Dave K1WHS