[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Sun Oct 30 10:51:14 EDT 2022

Hello 222 folks ( and those who really want to be 222 folks but have yet
to make the plunge and get on the band)

This Tuesday promises to be an interesting evening. The Hepburn map
shows some elevated tropo enhancement from central New York and Toronto
out to Illinois. The northeast is not looking great, but it is not
really bad either.  The big news is that KA6U will be going to the
Florida/Georgia border at the end of the week, but he will also be on
222 EME  from EL87 on Tuesday night as a warm up. If you look at the
Moon's position, it will be just about due South in the middle of the
activity evening. The declination is quite low and that means that it is
low in the sky all evening. An interesting experiment for anyone with a
222 yagi laying around doing nothing is to stick it on a pole and tilt
it up about 22 degrees. With the Moon due South, all you have to do is
set the elevation and then just turn the azimuth as the Moon traverses
the sky. At 2330 UT the Moon is at 180 degrees here in Maine, so the
elevation stays  between 25 and 20 degrees until just after 01:30 UT.

I am tempted to point some extra yagis up and see what I can hear!  When
KA6U is QRV, all of the big 222 ops show up and exercise their EME gear.
WA4NJP will be on with his 36 ft dish and polarity switching. K7KQA will
be on from Washington state, and I think VE6TA will be on from Alberta
with his dish. N0AKC a 222 mHz WAS holder will be on as well with his
array. There will be no lack of stations to listen for.  The weather
promises to be OK in New England with no wind or driving rain, so prop
up that 222 MHz yagi against the chicken coop right after you feed the
chickens and be prepared for excitement.

Activity starts at about 2300 UT or 7 PM and goes to about 9:30 or 10 PM
0200 UT.  I monitor ON4KST (region 2 144/432MHz) and also monitor the
HB9Q 222 MHz chat page for EME.

73

Dave K1WHS