[VHFcontesting] Larcan Amp Mod Question

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Sep 6 11:55:57 EDT 2022

Hi Dave

The small wire supplies bias to the FETs. I wrote up a conversion paper
on the Larcan, and had a few issues with removing DC from the big FETs
when they were not keyed up. I used big FET switches to remove DC during
receive periods.    See below....

"A few words about the Larcan protection board. It was designed to allow
hot switching of the individual amplifier modules in a TV transmitter.
We do not need hot switching, so much of the design sits unused, but it
does have a high VSWR protection function that will remove bias to all
of the FETs if a high VSWR is encountered. It does add a bit of
protection, and I left things as is for that reason. Part of the hot
swap circuitry involved charging electrolytic caps before the actual
drain voltage is applied to the FETS. A Step Start voltage comes in
early on PIN 8 of the Larcan protection board. There is a second 50 volt
connection back to the 50 volt drain circuits via PIN 2.R5, a 10 ohm 1
watt resistor limits capacitor charging current and provides a soft
start. That other connection on PIN 2 must be dis connected if you use
the W6PQL 50 volt DC FET switch to disconnect the drains from 50
volts.Otherwise, current from PIN 8 will flow through R5 and try to
power the six FETs when you are in receive or standby!Make sure that you
disconnect PIN 2 where it connects to the RF board on the big Larcan RF
board, or you will burn up R5 and have voltage on the FETs while R5 is
cooking!"

  Terry, W8ZN left the 50 volts DC on his FETs all the time, so did not
have the problem with R5 on the Larcan protection board. He rigged up a
small PC board to remove bias during receive, and disconnected that
small wire that went to PIN 8, and ran it to his bias circuit as I
recall.  His conversion is on the Directive Systems website under TECH
Notes.

73

Dave K1WHS