[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 MHz Activity Night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Sep 6 16:35:01 EDT 2022

Hello Mr. "Voice of Milford",

You are correct, Pete. We have not been lucky with 222 tropo this
summer. I have seen several mornings when things were hot along the
coast from the CT/LI shoreline down to VA and maybe NC. Each time that
has happened, the Great White North was left out of the action. It has
been exceedingly poor up here. One of the reasons for having an activity
night is to make sure that your 222 setup is ready for the day when the
band does open for tropo! I think it may have been Joe W1JR, who
lamented that we should all be monitoring the higher bands for tropo, as
it sets up there early on and then dissipates as the evening (or
morning) wears on and the lower frequencies get better. If we monitor
144 only, we might be missing all the good stuff that occurs on 432!  By
the time we realize the band is hot, the higher freqs have already
faded. Inversion layers can and will act as waveguides. Too big and the
higher freqs will not get through as well.

So, paying attention to 222 and 432 is probably more important than
monitoring 144.  Remember.....If a tree falls in the forest and no one
is there, will it make a sound?  If the band opens on 222 & 432 and no
one is there to notice, will the band opening really happen?  Along
those lines, I am trying to figure out how to remotely monitor the band
continuously. Without permanent AC power there, I keep thinking that I
cannot do it effectively.

I checked the rain gauge here, Pete and it registered 3.05" of water. I
am thrilled. We needed that!!

73

Dave K1WHS