[VHFcontesting] Radios Used For 222MHz

Paul N1BUG FN55mf paul at n1bug.com
Thu Sep 8 04:49:30 EDT 2022

Hi Chris,

I use a Q5 Signal transverter, FT-2000 as the IF rig, an intermediate
amp with a BLF278 and a Harris channel 13 deck which gives 800 watts out
with around 40 watts drive. Naturally I would suggest going with a 1500W
amp if you can. I use a home built 22 element K1FO yagi at 115 feet and
a homebrew "old school" MGF1302 preamp at the top of the tower.

It sure would be great to have you on the band with high power! I'd love
to have good stations around the 500 mile mark to work. I can make that
distance most of the time if I have a high power station with a good
antenna at the other end, but high power stations are becoming more and
more scarce these days.

73,
Paul N1BUG