[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Sprint

Paul N1BUG FN55mf paul at n1bug.com
Wed Sep 28 11:24:14 EDT 2022

In short, yes. The rope just lays in the elements. From what I'm told
the rope size should be about 1/4 to 1/2 the element ID, and type of
rope doesn't matter (use whatever is cheap).

I recall reading about this trick for taming element vibration due to
vortex shedding effect in gentle breeze / light wind many years ago. I
thought it was in an ARRL Antenna Book but I have not recently been able
to find the old reference. I asked around about this over the summer
because my 6m antenna was having a problem. In a light steady breeze the
element tips were vibrating at about a 200 Hz rate, and those tips were
moving up and down over at least a two inch span! I could hear it
humming 100 feet away from the 100 foot tower and could feel it strongly
at the base of the tower. Three methods of limiting the problem were
mentioned:

1. Rope laying in the element as I am doing. Some commercial antennas,
including my HyGain TH11DX use this method in the element tip sections.

2. Weight the tips of the elements. Some have used this method by using
short pieces of EHS guy wire inside the element tips.

3. Spiral wrap the element with some kind of cord that is about 1/10 the
element diameter. This *may* be the most effective method (?) but I
don't favor it because it will inhibit ice and snow shedding. I am also
unsure about making the spiral wrap stay put unless it is glued in place.

I am hoping the first method works!

I considered combining methods 1 and 2 but there is/was no available
information on what might happen in that case.

73,
Paul