[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 3 22:04:24 EST 2023

That is quite a list, Good Buddy Ron!

I found condx were up to the West but a bit down looking South. There
was so much activity it was a truly awesome night and there was not
enough time to work everybody. (Especially if you tried a bit of rag
chewing.) I never hooked up with N2SLO K2RMX and even K1TR who was 59+40
dB here.   I had a total of 28 stations worked between 7 and 9 PM. I
think that is a Tuesday night record for me. There was some QSB, but
VE3KG did peak 59 on SSB as did W9KXI. VE3ZV was an unbelievable 5X5 on
SSB too at about 500 miles! Southern paths were not as good, but WA3EOQ
and KO4YC were worked on CW but signals were down. We have to remember
that this is January and conditions could be  a lot worse! No complaints
here.

I really wanted to try with KB8VAO in EN91 this evening but we never got
a chance. I think there was a chance to work Ohio tonight. I did try
with K3SK in FM07 on FT8 but no go over a 5 minute period.  When I got
up to the shack at 23:30 the indoor temp was 34 degrees. I started the
diesel and it came to life and I immediately had the 1500 watt baseboard
heater running along with a small 1000 watt space heater near my feet.
It warmed up quite fast and I did not mind the coolness at the start. By
9 PM if was a good 70 degrees everywhere in the room and my feet were
nice and warm with the heater.. I was up at the shack early in the
afternoon and checked out the antenna. and gear. I thought that the 4
yagi array had slipped about 5 degrees from that big windstorm, as I had
trouble peaking K2DLL/b. When I got on later, it seemed that the
headings were OK. It must have been some weird prop in the afternoon.  I
also got a chance to listen for some new beacons. I copied K1MAP on
222.0535 quite well peaking at S3 or so, I also copied W3CCX/b on
222.060 with a great signal. It was solid at 10-15 dB out of the noise.
W1RT/b is audible along with KV1J /b  and VE2FUT/b.  222 is covered with
beacons!!

It was great to catch W1TR.  Terry worked a few stations including
WB2RVX. I guess he got the 222 stuff fixed up!  I quit a bit after 0200
UT and headed home in the truck. It was foggy and drizzling with temps
at 34 degrees. I was surprised with all the activity. I guess 222 MHz is
the place to be!

73

Dave K1WHS