[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 17 11:31:55 EST 2023

Tuesday has rolled around and that means it is time to turn on your 222
MHz gear and activate your grid this evening on the 222 MHz band.  I
dabble in low band QRP fox hunts. They are advertised as "the fastest 90
minutes in radio".  I think I could say the same thing about 222 Night.
It seems to be the fastest two hors on VHF in the Northeast! Lat week,
WA1T and I hung out i n the hilltop shack and worked 21 stations in two
hours of fun. Good Buddy Ron WZ1V nabbed 27 or 28 contacts from his near
shoreline QTH in Connecticut.  He was on a 5 minute per QSO schedule. I
don't know about you, but that is quite a pile of activity.

Activity in other areas is also climbing. The fact that we are in the
mid January VHF doldrums has no effect on the Tuesday night activity.
The January Contest is coming up, so tonight is a good chance to check
out your 222 gear. On Wednesday, you can check out your 432 gear as
well. 432 activity centers on 0100-0200 UT. We had some significant
snow, but the Sun is shining now at 11:30 AM and temps are at 39 degrees
F.  I am not sure, but I think I am going to try slipping and sliding up
the hill and get on for all the fun.  If the truck will not make it, I
can walk and bring my logging and digi mode laptop with me.

So make plans to be on 222 MHz tonight. After all, the more the
merrier!    Don't forget the ON4KST Region 2 144/432 Chat page for
setting up skeds.  I hope to hear you on 222.

73

Dave K1WHS