[VHFcontesting] ARRL Jan VHF WZ1V

Ron Klimas WZ1V wz1v at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 23 16:31:06 EST 2023

ARRL January VHF Contest - 2023

Call: WZ1V
Operator(s): WZ1V
Station: WZ1V
Class: Single Op-Analog HP
QTH: FN31RH
Operating Time (hrs): 20

6: 93 21
2: 109 24
222: 51 21
432: 63 19
903:
1.2: 25 12
2.3:
3.4:
5.7:
10G:
24G:
-------------------
Total: 341 97 Total Score = 51,410

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:
Did Analog-Only again, CW-SSB. Had 1 FM QSO.
I've now operated the past 3 VHF contests this way.
It's a lot simpler since there's less modes to juggle, and
not needing another program for digital modes running.
Then again, for those that just stay mostly FT8,
I guess that's even easier since you can have the software
automatically work and log the contacts. To me it's just
more rewarding to work and log each contact yourself
the old-school way. I'm not an FT8 basher.
I've done All-mode in many contests. The major Cons with
running Analog-Only is you'll never work as many Mults or
QSOs, and activity levels can go to near zero.
During Sunday night's opening to South America, I didn't
hear a single DX station on SSB or CW, even the locals
pretty much all disappeared to FT8. I guess I'd rather
be bored making unanswered CQ's than be bored watching the
computer make contacts. I do miss working the DX though.

I was pretty happy making some very nice contacts on 2M
and up. It was fun working K3MD, N1JEZ, VE2XX and W1AIM on 1296,
to name a few. I also found several new stations in the
region that have newly added 222 and 1296 capability.
Thanks for the QSO's !

73 Ron WZ1V